Tuesday, September 21, 2010

10 Reasons Why I'm Losing Weight

Ever heard of a vision board?  It's something that I've seen friends and family use.  Basically, it's a collage of different things that you want to accomplish, or things that you "envision" yourself being able to do.

Consider this post an online version of my vision board.  After some reflection, there were a multitude of reasons why I felt like I needed lose weight and get in better shape.  Here are the top 10 (not necessarily in order of importance).

1. Injury.  Over the last two months, I've strained two muscles doing activities that I could do for hours while I was younger.  Although I don't necessarily believe that it's all because of my weight, I think that weight is a factor.  I think the bigger reason is that my body is just out of shape.  I've got to get back in shape.

2. Health.  I think we've all heard the many health factors that weight plays into.  As I've experienced these recent injuries, my feelings of invincibility that I once had while young are diminishing.  I feel like Superman coming closer and closer to Kryptonite.  I've also had some loved ones recently who have had pretty bad health scares.  They were in pretty good shape, but one of the things that their doctors told them was that they needed to take better care of their bodies.  That was enough of a warning for me to realize that I needed to do the same.

3. Fun.  I've found myself recently not enjoying physical activities as much because of limited physical ability.  That just isn't very fun for me.

4. Vanity.  Looking in the mirror just isn't as enjoyable anymore :-)

5. Accomplishment.  A year prior to getting married I weight about 280 or so.  Over the course of the next year, mostly in preparation for the wedding, I dropped about 75 lbs.  The day I get married I weighed in at 205 (pictures to come soon).  Looking at that scale, and now looking back at the pictures from our wedding and honeymoon gave me (and still do give me) a great feeling of accomplishment.  I need to do that again.

6. Progress.  I'm a progress freak.  I love seeing and tracking progress.  It's kind of like a drug to me.

7. Wardrobe.  I like wearing my old clothes, however some of them don't fit like they used to.

8. Energy.  I find that I have so much more energy when I've been working out and am healthy.

9. The Journey.  Journeys are often greater than destinations...I'm excited for what lies in between.

10. Family.  I got out my calculator and crunched some numbers.  When my son is 15, I'll be about 40.  I want to be able to still beat him in a game of one-on-one, take him on hikes, wrestle him to the ground and keep him in check when he's 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment