Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Squats - Such Good Pain

I did a leg workout today that included the trifecta of squats: 3x10 of overhead squats, front squats and back squats. The weights were pretty decent rounding out my 9th set at 315 for back squats. It's funny, working out my legs wasn't a priority for me a few years ago. I always rationalized that my legs would get a workout running and playing sports. Leg workouts have become an integral part of my workouts recently. Here's three reasons why:

1. Many leg workouts require good core strength - and by lifting heavy legs, I am able to build my core as well. Movements like the squat trifecta require good balance to execute them right. Building that balance had been great for my core.

2. Legs are such a large muscle group - and the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn while at rest. Working out my legs has become an important part of my weight loss plan.

3. The burn feels so good - there's something satisfying about a good muscle burn. Call me crazy, but it's something I love.

I know that many shy away from consistent and tough leg workouts. In my experience, they're great for muscle building, weight loss and overall fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment