Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Why I Love Crossfit

So I've been fortunate this past month or so to be working out with a group of guys from work.  They're big fans of Crossfit, so I've kind of been thrown into the middle of a crazy workout regimen.  At first, I was really intimidated by the concept and the workouts.  I'm still intimidated by some of it, but not as much anymore.

Courtesy of Crossfit.com.  This isn't me by the way.
If you aren't familiar with Crossfit, you should look into it.  It's a training program that is used by different law enforcement agencies, military personnel, athletes, and martial artists to name a few.  By design, the programs delivers fitness that is general, broad and all inclusive.  Workouts tend to emphasize multiple muscle groups in motion together.  The great thing about the workouts, is that they are scalable to whatever your fitness level.  My explanation does it no justice, so you should check out the Crossfit Website and the Crossfit Journal.

As I mentioned, I was really intimidated by it at first, however I have grown to love Crossfit.  Here are a couple reasons why:
1. Results.  Isn't this the ultimate reason you do a work out.  We do Crossfit workouts about three days a week.  In the last month I've lost 7 lbs.  I've also felt myself get stronger and increase stamina.
2. Adrenalin and Heart Rate.  Crossfit workouts don't take a lot of time (partly because in many of them you're competing for personal best times), however your heart rate skyrockets for some of them...it's a great feeling.
3. Time.  Effective and efficient workouts.  That's great for me because I mostly go to the gym during my lunch break.
4. Satisfaction.  When you're done...you feel great about the fact that you finished.

Needless to say.  I'm a fan.  Crossfit is really about "functional fitness" to me.  If you get an opportunity...look into it.  Like Milk, it'll do a body good.

No comments:

Post a Comment