Sunday, March 20, 2011

Week Wrap Up + Kipping Pull Ups

I just realized that I haven't posted in a week or so.  It's been a good couple weeks in the gym...not so good couple of weeks in the kitchen.  I've had some great workout these last two weeks, but haven't done too well in the kitchen.  This next week I'm dedicated to be a bit more disciplined.  Any tips?

Here's what my workouts looked like for the last two weeks or so.

Monday, March 7: Crossfit
"McCluskey" - I had to scale this one quite a bit.  It called for:
Three rounds of:
9 Muscle Ups
15 Burpee Pull Ups
21 Pull Ups
Run 800 Meters

I ended up doing the following in 32:23
Three rounds of:
10 Pull Ups
10 Dips
10 Burpee Pull Ups
10 Pull Ups
Run 800 Meters

Tuesday, March 8: Crossfit
Three rounds for time of:
Run 400 meters
75 pound Squat snatch, 15 reps
9 Handstand push-ups (due to bad shoulders I ended up doing high incline pull ups)
I completed the workout in 15:13

Wednesday, March 9: Cardio
Elliptical for 35 minutes - 2.52 miles

Friday, March 10: Legs
Back Squats - 10 at 135, 10 at 185, 3 sets of 10 at 225.  10 box jumps between each set.
Hamstring Curls - 3 sets with a reverse progression burnout on the last set.
Quad Extensions - 3 sets with a reverse progression burnout on the last set.

Monday, March 14: Crossfit
Standing Shoulder Press
3-3-3-3-3-3-3
My weight progression was as follows:
135-145-155-165-175-185-205

Wednesday, March 15: Crossfit
Here's what the workout called for:
"With a continuously running clock do one pull-up the first minute, two pull-ups the second minute, three pull-ups the third minute, etc.  Continue as long as you are able."
I ended up making it the eighth minute doing normal pull ups and jumping pull-ups from 9-14.  I got a pretty large blister on my left hand from this one.  Not fun.

Thursday, March 16: Crossfit
For time:
Run 1 mile
100 sit-ups
100 back extensions
Run 1 mile
I completed in 27:59

After the pull-up workout on Wednesday, I realized that I needed to work on doing Kipping Pull-ups.  It's basically a pull-up that uses body momentum and is very commonly used in CrossFit.  Some call it cheating, however the idea of it is to use multiple muscle groups together and raise your heart rate...It does just that.  Check out this tutorial below... pretty impressive stuff.


Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment