Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Homebound WODs

After a few days of being sick, not eating well, and feeling lazy, I thought it would be a good idea to go to the gym yesterday morning, go into work for a few hours and then spend the rest of the holiday with the ohana (family).  I went to bed and set my alarm for 5:00 AM.  The plan was to be at the gym by about 5:45 or 6:00.  Workout for close to an hour and then head over to work and be back home around noon.

At 7:30, I woke up, rushed into the shower, and made it to work by 8:00.  Fail.

I told myself that afternoon that I needed to at least get some sort of workout in.  I decided that I wanted to do a metcon, but didn't have much to work with.  I don't have a pull-up bar, and in terms of weight, all I have is a small set of dumbbells.  I decided that I'd do a variation on Cindy.  Here's what I did:

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
5 hanging dumbbell cleans
10 push-ups
15 air squats.

I ended up doing 17 rounds + 7 squats.  More importantly, the workout ended up doing what I wanted it to do.  It was short (including warm-up it only took me about 45 minutes), got my heart rate pumping and I broke a major sweat.

One of the things that I love that CrossFit has taught me, is that you don't need a large gym with a lot of weight or cardio machines to get a good workout.  If you put the right movements in the right combination and challenge yourself against time, you've got yourself a great workout.

I definitely love going to the gym and working out amidst the energy and with good workout partners, however it's also good at times to know that when I want to, I can kick my trash with a 20 minute workout at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment